After the initial meeting with my doula, I was given a few different postpartum musts and comfrey maxi-pads was one of them. I had never heard of comfrey before but learned that comfrey is a healing herb that is known for it's antibacterial and anti fungal properties and is often used to relieve pain, swelling and irritation. The tannins in comfrey have astringent qualities and the ability to precipitate proteins (tightens/tones the the living tissue). Another main components of comfrey is Allantoin (also found in mother's milk) which promotes the rebuilding of healthy cells. This herb is incredible and has tons of healing properties that can be beneficial outside of postpartum healing.
1. Make a pouch with 1/2 cup comfrey leaves in a cheesecloth or cloth bag
2. Fill large pot with 8 cups of water, put pouch in water
3. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 1 hour
4. Remove pouch, squeeze to get any additional comfrey broth
5. Line clean baking sheet with as many maxi pads as you can fit without stacking
6. Freeze maxi pads
7. When completely frozen, store pads in a zip lock bag
You will use at least two of these a day until you are healed.
*the leftover broth can be used to fill a spray bottle and can be used on your perineum after your urinate
You can find comfrey here