I used to get this amazing salad downtown and had it every week for months until they changed their menu. I have tried other beet salads but am never quite as satisfied as I was with this particular salad from The Blue Cow Kitchen. Since Los Angeles has had a few warmer days recently, I tried to recreate this personal favorite and although this is just a salad, with the beets, pistachios and Burrata, it is a super filling dish.
- 6 medium beets, peeled and cut into quarters
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 oz Burrata Cheese
- 5 oz Arugula
- 2 Lemons
- 1 Orange
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup pistachio meat
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Wash, peel and slice beets into quarters. Then toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil and salt. Bake at 400 for 40 minutes or until soft. Remove from oven and squeeze fresh orange juice over the beets.
- While beets are roasting, bring balsamic vinegar and sugar to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat, it will thicken as it cools.
- While vinegar is reducing, prepare pesto. Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until desired consistency. I like to leave a little chunky so you get more pistachio chunks.
- To assemble the salad, toss arugula with juice from 1 lemon and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Drop about 2 oz of Burrata, two tablespoons of pesto, 6 beet quarters and drizzle with balsamic reduction.
Enjoy with people you love.
Preparation Time: 1 hour