I have loved spaghetti squash for years but after having it at Baco Mercat in downtown Los Angeles (and falling deeply in love) I have added it to our home's rotation. While I usually do a simple dish with fresh herbs and fresh Parmesan, with the rainy weather, I was craving a heartier pasta dish. This is what I came up with.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 5 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 medium onion
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- olive oil
- salt to taste
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 4 fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Parmesan cheese to sprinkle
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and scrape out seeds. Roast at 425 degrees for 35 minutes.
- While squash is roasting, chop onion and garlic and add to cast iron. I really like this one. Saute for five minutes or until translucent.
- Add tomatoes and saute on low for 20 minutes or until desired consistency.
- Add spinach and continue to cook on low for an additional 5 minutes
- Add red pepper flakes and salt.
- Remove squash from the oven and allow to cool for five minutes.
- Add squash to the cast iron with the sauce.
- Each serving is topped with 1 chopped basil leaf, a sprinkle of Parmesan and 1/2 tablespoon pine nuts.
Enjoy with people you love.
Preparation time: 1 hour