As I get older and start experiencing the inevitable aging process, I strive to make little adjustments to encourage good health. I find that when you start a habit at the beginning of something, for example, the beginning of the year, on a Monday or simply when you wake up, your chances of finishing out that time period with healthy choices are stronger.
I try to start my day with lemon water. Not only does this help to wake me up and hydrate me, it offers many other benefits and starts my day on a healthy foot. This usually leads to a workout, a smoothy, a salad and healthier choices over all.
Here are some additional benefits of drinking lemon water in the morning:
- Alkalizing - lemon water reduces acidity in the body which will improve your overall help and boost your immune system. Keeping the body alkaline also reduces inflammation which is a common of arthritis.
- Helps detoxify the body - lemon juice cleans out your system and is a natural diuretic. It stimulates your liver and aids with detoxification.
- Helps keep skin clear - Vitamin C is important for glowing skin and an alkaline environment can prevent bacteria that causes acne
- Lemon can provide energy and the smell is mood boosting.
- Aids digestion - Lemons are high in minerals and vitamins and help loosen toxins in the digestive tract. Lemon also helps with indigestion, belching and bloating.
- Lemons are high in potassium which assist with healthy brain and nerve function.
- Promotes healing - Lemons contain an abundant amount of Vitamin C which promotes wound healing, and is an essential nutrient in the maintenance of healthy bones, connective tissue, and cartilage.
- Hydrates your lymphatic system - It is super important to hydrate upon rising and replace any fluids lost throughout the night. This will prevent feelings of dehydration which include feeling tired, lack of mental clarity, constipation, feeling stressed, just to name a few.
- squeeze half of a lemon into room temperature water upon rising.