Today has been a pretty great day full of check-marked boxes, good naps, minimal traffic and a huge bonus...I found an entire container of bee pollen in the back of the fridge. There was a time when this special stuff was thrown in every smoothy that I made and for a good reason too, it's incredible for the body. Bee Pollen is considered a completely nourishing food which means it contains all of the nutrients required by the human body. It is richer in proteins than any animals source. Isn't that mind blowing? Anyway, I am getting back together with bee pollen and wanted to share some my favorite benefits and a super-food smoothy recipe by my best friend who is a yogi and huge food enthusiast.
- Bee pollen contains a high quantity of antioxidants that may have an anti-inflammatory effect on the tissues of the lungs, preventing the onset of asthma
- Bee pollen contains enzymes that can aid in digestion. Enzymes assist your body in getting all the nutrients you need from the food that you eat.
- Bee pollen stimulates and restores ovarian function, therefore may be used to assist in accelerating pregnancy. As well as being a hormonal booster it is also a great aphrodisiac!
- Pollen is good for the intestinal flora and thereby supports the immune system. According to holistic health expert Dr. Joseph Mercola, bee pollen has antibiotic-type properties that can help protect the body from contracting viruses. It's also rich in antioxidants that protect the cells from the damaging oxidation of free radicals
- Bee pollen is often used topically in products that aim to treat inflammatory conditions and common skin irritations like psoriasis or eczema. The amino acids and vitamins protect the skin and aid the regeneration of cells.
Rise and Shining Smoothie (energy and mood enhancing)
- 1 apple- they weren't kidding when they said an apple a day keeps the doctor away... this favorite of teachers is packed full of antioxidants including vitamin C and quercetin, which boost the body's immune defenses. Pectin, the soluble fiber found in apples, helps relieve constipation and lowers levels of bad cholesterol... an apple is also a better source of energy in the morning than a cup of coffee!
- 1 cup coconut water- this amazing liquid has the five essential electrolytes your body needs to keep nerves firing, muscles moving and to help manage stress...it has more potassium than a banana, and keeps kidneys clean and improves alkaline balance... not to mention it hydrates you quickly so you feel refreshed... plus anything tropical always makes me feel a little exotic: )
- 1/2 cup almond milk- There's protein, fiber, B vitamins, calcium, zinc and iron... not to mention a dose of vitamin E to protect our skin and keep a healthy glow... it also contains no cholesterol or lactose to weigh you down.
- 1 banana- so we know there's potassium, but also fiber, vitamin C and they contain all the 8 amino-acids our body cannot produce itself... if you're still not a fan, go for half!!
- 1 tablespoon bee pollen- where do I begin... this has been called the perfect food... it contains more than 96 different nutrients, including every single nutrient that is needed to sustain human life!! Plus, it is made up of 40% protein and combines 22 amino acids, vitamin C, B-complex and folic acid, polyunsaturated fatty acids, enzymes, and carotene... in addition, it reliefs discomfort from PMS, prevents prostate problems, boosts the immune system, detoxifies your body, alleviates allergies, improves endurance, strength and mental clarity, promotes weight loss: the rate at which your body burns fat, reduces cravings, regulates your mood and helps control stress in your life... Need I say more?!
- 1 handful of walnuts- this nut has the perfect combo of omega 3 and 6 which is essential for them to be the most beneficial for you. These omega's help with mood, brain function, lowering cholesterol and pain and inflammation... so basically, they help you feel good.
- 1 cup frozen strawberries- these pretty red berries have the ability to remove harmful toxins in the blood... also recommended for sluggish liver, gout, rheumatism, constipation, high blood pressure, catarrh and even skin cancer... plus they add a nice texture and flavor to boot!
- 3 tablespoons hemp powder (you can find this at your local health food store or order below) - Hemp seeds are praised for having the highest quality of protein and it's all natural and easy to digest. Hempseeds are the only seeds that don't need to be germinized for better absorption...their fats are a vegan alternative to fish oils which boost our immune systems, improve our memory, and make us feel warmer in cold climates... which I sure could've used in Chicago : )
- 1 small handful of Cacao Nibs- Cacao has more antioxidant flavonoids than any food tested so far, which help reduce blood clotting, improve circulation, help regulate heartbeat and blood pressure, lower LDL cholesterol, and reduce the risk of stroke and heart attacks... it also increases neurotransmitters in our brains, which promotes positive outlook, facilitates rejuvenation and simply helps us feel good. Also, substances found in cacao are known to help reduce appetite, which help you make it to lunch without dipping in the candy jar: )
Just blend and feel your food turn into a good mood : ) Play around with the ingredients as you like, and feel free to add other great boosters such as: maca, goji berries, raw honey, lucuma, camu camu, yacon, chia or whatever else you find as you explore what you want to feel in your food! Prepare to be amazed...Cheers!!