I haven't used a conventional beauty product in a few years and I look healthier than ever. I moisturize with organic oil, I make my own lotion, and look up recipes for anything else that I would need such as a burn cream or bug spray. After living clean for this long, the scent of harmful chemicals or synthetic smells is very unappealing. I find this to be strange as I grew up in an area that celebrated the opening of Bath and Body Works and was addicted to their heavily fragranced lotions. One product that I use daily is Witch Hazel and my favorite brand is Thayers Alcohol-free Rose Petal Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera. I especially love this because it has the added benefits of rose and aloe vera which increases hydration, helps with acne and is a better cleanser overall. Rose is also just one of the most calming scents and makes me feel like I am at a spa. This formula is also without alcohol so is gentle enough to use on Wallace which has been coming in handy after Wallace started running and tumbling. As a blogger, I have the opportunity to try many different beauty products but I always end up going back to witch hazel. This makes sense as it is literally one of two beauty products that my mother had in the house and routinely used. I also love how versatile witch hazel is. It's sort of like the Dr. Bronner's for the body.
Some additional witch hazel uses include:
- Anti-aging - Due to it's antioxidative properties, Witch Hazel neutralizes free radicals thus slowing down the aging process.
- Inflammation and bruises - Native Americans used witch hazel to assist with bruises by applying topically.
- With Aloe Vera as a sunburn relief spray - 2 parts witch hazel + 1 part pure aloe vera makes for a great after sun spray.
- Assists with cold sores when applied topically
- Reduces eye puffiness when applied after being chilled in the refrigerator for 30 minutes
These are just a few simple uses but there are countless ways to benefit from using witch hazel. The uses range from deodorant to mouth wash and anything in between. If you're still using a toxic toner or don't have witch hazel in your home, I encourage you to grab some and explore all of the many ways that witch hazel can benefit you and your family.