Do any of you go to the bulk bin and stockpile ingredients that you never use? Welcome to me and hazelnuts. I had all of these plans to make a hazelnut spread but it hasn't happened yet so I have been adding them to dishes when I can. Today it was a barley salad with arugula, feta, and cucumbers. I love throwing grains in with salads because it makes the dish way more filling than just a salad with greens. This dish is also good for nursing mothers because barley is a galactagogue.
- 1 cup of barley
- 3 cups of water
- 1 cup hazelnuts chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup greek feta
- 1 cucumber skinned and chopped
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- salt to taste
- Soak 1 cup of barley for one hour.
- Heat over to 350 degrees. Chop hazelnuts in half and roast for 12 minutes
- Add pre-soaked barley to a pot with 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil and then lower to simmer and cover and cook for 25 minutes or until tender and water is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Add vinegar, parsley, garlic, olive oil and lime juice to a bowl. Whisk together and add salt to taste.
To serve: Toss barley with lime dressing. Add arugula, cucumber and hazelnuts. Mix together. Top with feta.