Butter Crackers are a staple in our home and are possibly Wally's favorite snack. They are a part of an afternoon ritual where Bryan comes home from work and makes cheese and crackers for he and Wally while I answer emails. Usually we use organic store-bought crackers but last week I realized they contain palm oil. After reading a few articles like this, I am trying really hard to avoid food or beauty products that contain Palm Oil. I also love the idea of cutting down on products that have lots of packaging. So, better for Wally and better for mother Earth. Just this week the weather has started to cool so what a perfect time to start baking my own crackers. Here's what I did.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp + another 1/2 tsp salt for topping
- 6 tbsp cold unsalted butter + 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2/3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Put the flour, baking powder, sugar, and 1/2 tsp of salt in the food processor.
- Pulse to combine.
- Add cold butter and pulse to combine.
- Add olive oil. Pulse to combine.
- Add water a little bit at a time. Pulse to combine after each addition. The dough should start to form a ball.
- Roll dough out as thin as you can. The thinner the cracker, the crispier they will be.
- Use cookie cutters to cut the dough out.
- Poke holes in each cracker to make sure they don't bubble
- Bake the crackers for about 10 minutes or until they start to brown
- Brush crackers with melted butter and crack sea salt on top
- Let cool on a cooling rack
- Enjoy with people you love