Last night a couple of girl friend's invited me to something called Galentine's Day, a ladies-only gathering on February 14. Unable to attend, but flattered to be invited to hang out with the younger, cooler crowd, I was inspired to create a cocktail that would be perfect for this gathering. Pink, herbaceous and bright, this cocktail or mocktail is easy to prepare and won't disappoint.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Fresh Grapefruit
- Fresh Thyme
- Fresh Raspberries
* For mocktail you'll need lemons and sparkling water
- To prepare the simple syrup, simmer 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water until sugar is dissolved. Allow to cool.
- To prepare the cocktail, muddle 3 raspberries in the shaker. Once crushed, add 3/4 oz fresh grapefruit juice, 3/4 ounce simple syrup, 3 springs of thyme and 1 1/2 oz vodka. Top with ice.
- Shake for approximately ten seconds then strain into fresh glass over large ice cube. If you don't have the molds for large cocktail cubes, get them! These are what I use...
- Garnish with fresh thyme and enjoy with people you love.
* For mocktail omit vodka and squeeze half a lemon in shaker. Strain into glass over large ice cube and top with sparkling water.